Working from home during COVID-19
We have to adapt to a new way of working from home during COVID-19. Unfortunately, many home-based employees will not have access to an ergonomically setup workstation in their home, and instead will be working on a laptop at a dining room or kitchen table, or on a bed, or lounging on a sofa. In other words, quite the opposite to the perfect home office setup.
By using simple items around the house, you can quickly convert your home workspace to one that is more ergonomic, thereby ensuring a healthier and better working environment.
- Find a flat work surface, whether this is your dining room table, kitchen table or even a portable table.
- Find a sturdy chair like a dining room chair. If you have an office chair, even better.
* Set the height of the chair so that when your wrists are resting on the table, the angle between your forearm and upper arm is at 90 degrees. If you need to increase the height of the chair, add a cushion or two.
* If you find your legs are dangling in the air, put a book or box under your feet for support.
* If you need extra support for your lower back, roll up a towel or use a cushion and place it in the lumbar area of your back.
- Set the height of the monitor. For the best posture you should be sitting upright and to do so, you will need to raise your laptop. Take some books, shoe box, whatever you have that is sturdy and put your laptop on top of it.
* The ideal height is when your eyes are just below the top of the monitor.
* As a rule of thumb, your monitor should be about an arm’s length away.
- Use a wireless or plug-in keyboard and mouse. Your keyboard and mouse are game changers and are available from many suppliers. Remember, the goal is to avoid hunching when working.
- Lastly and most importantly, get up and move around at least every 45 minutes.
Watch our short video to find out how!